Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: (MSIE dr. watson error)

From: Vitaly McLain <twistah () DATASURGE NET>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 18:14:12 -0600

This doesn't work any way I try it. I have Internet Explorer 5.5, which is
really MSIE 5.50.4134.0600, running on Windows NT 4.0 SP5. I have tried
feeding it "$", as well as other charachters, but to no avail. So my
theories are this: either you have a version of IE that was mysteriously
broken and fixed silently (doubt it) or that the overflow does not actually
occur when the user inputs a long string into Address:. My theory is that
perhaps the webserver you tested it against returned some HTTP-related field
to your browser and that's where the overflow occured. I tested by
connecting to a Linux server running Apache/1.3.6 which seems to cut part of
the string off (or maybe not, but I am betting that it cuts something out
the other httpd didn't).

Anyway, that's just my theory, so enough rambling.

Vitaly McLain
twistah () datasurge net
twistah @ OPN & EfNet
"If you don't turn on to politics, politics will turn on you."
       - Ralph Nader