Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ethernet cards & promisc mode

From: dr () DURSEC COM (Dragos Ruiu)
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 23:02:53 -0700

Disabling promiscuous mode.

I've only ever done it on the linux Tulip and 3c905 drivers with Mr. Becker's
ubiquitous code, but it's pretty straightforward to disable promiscuous mode
on those drivers, YMMV.  (From memory, I think there was only one spot in the
code you had to modify.) The next step would be to build a kernel with out
module support, a good security move in any case IMHO.  Unfortunately, in linux
there are some drivers that will only work as modules - I got bit by one once
and I don't even remember what it was but I think that's fairly rare and who
knows, maybe those have been fixed. I think having to reboot and replacing the
kernel adds a significant level of complexity to exploits, but I would love to
hear evidence to the contrary.

cheers,
--dr

I'm busy up with our conference next week, but I can probably dig up some old
patches after next week if someone is interested.