Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: netscape 4.61 recognizes file.changed-doc/xls

From: swadlow () UTDALLAS EDU (Su Wadlow)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 15:15:57 -0500

--On Monday, May 29, 2000 9:59 AM -0700 John Brahy
<jbrahy () INSYNCLA COM> wrote:

 Even if the name is changed when netscape sends emails, it sets the
 mime-type and that is associated with the application.

OK.

I previously mentioned document control codes.  Aren't these
related to the MIME type?  I mean, don't the control codes
identify the document in some way *as* the MIME type?

IIRC, these codes were in use in DOS long before there was
DOS/Win registration of MIME types.  When the app opened a
document, they were how it identified the document as it's
own, or as another app's format needing to be converted.

I guess I'm incorrect in assuming that they're the basis
behind the current Windows MIME type registration mechanisms?

--
Su Wadlow
swadlow () utdallas edu