Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Automatic Retaliation contra DoS

From: mhw () WITTSEND COM (Michael H. Warfield)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 08:47:20 -0400

On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 11:04:13PM -0600, Weston Pawlowski wrote:
Whoa, calm down. I *never* said anything at all about doing anything to the
attacker other than blocking him. "Retaliation" doesn't always mean "attack", and
I didn't say anything that would even slightly imply that it did. And, if you
would have actually read my post or the post that I was replying to, you would
realize that what I'm speaking of is retaliating by cutting off the attacker's
access to your system. What I was talking about is strictly defensive, no "federal
crimes" are commited. Recommending the use of an attack is just as stupid as
flaming about a post that you haven't even completely read.

        Ok...  I guess the problem was the subject.  The terms
"Automatic Retaliation" and "DoS" do evoke immediate images of
couterattacks.  I jumped the gun and appologize.  Actually, seeing
the title and reading the article, I was confused about that point.
I seriously wondered if it had been suggested in a portion of an
earlier message that had been cut off in editing.  So that's
my excuse for jumping to conclusions.  :-)

        Regards,
        Mike

-Weston