Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ScriptGuard

From: mrousseau () LABCAL COM (Maxime Rousseau)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:29:54 -0400

I think we all agree on the fact that this tool can be fooled quite
easy. Script obscruring is very trivial just put all in a obsfucated
code string and use the Script Control ActiveX to execute the string.

So, in the light of this, I belive this tool is A) Useless and B) A
waste of coding. Moreover, i would even add that it might be dangerous
because its going to give the administrators and the users a false
feeling of security. If someone would like to convince me otherwise, im
all ears (or eyes).

I would also like to say that i think this whole issue is hyped, yes
Scripts are dangerous, yes they can do nasty stuff... but so can the
EXE. Why would we have to use a ScriptGuard or worse, unlink the .vbs
extentions from the WSCRIPT/CSCRIPT ?? Do we see an ExeGuard or patches
stopping people from running EXEs? No. My point is, the users
double-clicked on a peice of executable code and they are paying the
price for this. Screwing up the scripting technology is not going to
save the world from another ILY virus.

IMHO, the correct solution would be to change the extention on the
script so that it would default (doubleclick) to OPEN instead of
EXECUTE. I think this would solve everyone's problem without totally
screwing up the scripting technology.

</rant>

M.
--------
Hi, im a ~/.signature virus, copy my into your .signature to help me
spread!