Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

CGI source being exposed using "~"

From: compsecure () SOFTHOME NET (Nathan Einwechter)
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 15:02:21 -0400

Hello all,

I have searched SecurityFocus and bugtraq archives to see if this is a known issue, but did not turn up anything. So, I
will post my questions here.

Recently while playing on my local ISPs website I stumbled into, what is obviously, a security problem.

This problem allows anyone to view and download the source for any of the CGI scripts on their site. All that I did,
was put a tild "~" at the end of the url to the cgi, and it popped up with the CGI source code, and some images etc,
which the code references to within. None of it is formated when you first view it. However, if you just view the
source of the page, right there infront of you, is the entire source code for the Perl CGI script.

Now, the particular script I started to play around with, was one where you put in your username/password for the ISP,
to find out how many points you have for reffering customers. Based on the number of points you have collected, you can
purchase certain items for free.

I was able to manipulate the vars etc, such that I could give myself thousands of these points, and if I really wanted
to, order the items.

This is obviously a problem, but why is it occuring? As far as I can tell, the server is running on Apache 1.3.9
(linux).

I stumbled onto this because of a page I found on the server (I can't remember for the life of me where it was). It was
a server generated page, that said something about base names, that there where 229, and displayed four links.
http://server/cgi-bin/index.html
http://server/cgi-bin/index.html~  [base]
http://server/cgi-bin/index.cgi
http://server/cgi-bin/index.cgi~   [base]

I believe. The server has been contacted, but as of yet, nothing has come out of it. I would also like to note that the
servers web page is, in general, not secure once so ever. They have directory traversal problems et al.

Yours truly
Nathan Einwechter

PS Please do not stereotype people whome are teenagers, and interested in security as "Crackers" or "Script Kiddies" as
many of us are not.