Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Aureate Software

From: m_a_n_i_a_c_ () HOTMAIL COM (Maniac .)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 17:39:37 GMT

This issue was discussed to some detail on the Win2K Security Advice mailing
list (archived at www.ntsecurity.net). And it seems that the majority of
people agree with this.

Another point to mention is that if you de-install the software package that
installed Aureate, a lot of the DLLs that are installed for Aureate to
function are NOT removed from your system.

How can these people install something on the system without notifying users
they are doing so?  If a usefull program like L0phtcrack is listed as a
Trojan by AV vendors why isn't this.  It has much of the same
characteristics of a trojan.

Just my .02$

Mark L. Jackson wrote about Aureate Software, commenting thus:

*snipped*
In conclusion:
Maybe this software is trustable, I don't know.

Seems to me that if someone had dropped this on your system with out
installing it with a known package it would be called a trojan. I really
do not
see the reason to call this anything else.

Like to know what others think.

-==-Man!ac-==-
"I don't intend to offend, I offend with my intent"