Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Exploiting any network protocol with secondary data channelsopened from the server

From: BlueBoar () THIEVCO COM (Blue Boar)
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 22:30:39 -0800

Mikael Olsson wrote:

Darren Reed <avalon () COOMBS ANU EDU AU> recently wrote something
regarding all the fuss about the FTP data channel vulnerabilities,
that gave me the creeps:

I don't need to use a bad hyperlink in HTML to do the above, I can
equally use Java.

Which is extremely vile, since there is NO WAY that any type firewall
can differentiate a Java-driven FTP session from a "normal" FTP
session. The fix for FTP is to simply disallow all active FTP,
but what about protocols that do not support "passive" modes?

Anyone care to go dig up some protocols which open secondary data
channels from the server to the client, and then write a java
component that emulates an outbound client command session that
fools firewalls into opening dangerous data connections?

Damn that's evil.  That would fool every firewall on the market that
supports FTP.  I love it.

Many firewalls don't allow PORT commands to be issued for ports under
1024 (recent Firewall-1 versions, for example), but that still leaves
plenty of room for fun on a lot of boxes.  Some DO allow arbitrary
ports (see my posts about Cisco NAT early in the list archives.)

I don't suppose Sandboxed Java Applets have any legal way to detemine
which ports are open on the machine they're running on, do they?

Someone care to put up a demo of such a beast on a webserver they
aren't worried about getting pulled off the net?  I bet a cute
hack with a simple Java applet, and some Samba scripting could be
pretty effective.

                                        BB