Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Exploit code for PalmOS

From: aviram () BEYONDSECURITY COM (Aviram Jenik)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 20:44:34 +0300

Hi.

There isn't a shell in PalmOS so where do you want to get to ?
There also isn't the concept of different user privelge levels

Let me explain myself.
A typical exploit involves abusing a certain vulnerability (for example, a
buffer overflow condition that enables me to smash the local stack, change
the IP/EIP, etc) and a 'shell code' which is pure machine code that
executed. I'm looking for the second - a Palm OS 'shell code'.
We don't have a specific vulnerability for the Palm, but it's very likely
such vulnerabilities exist and are possible to exploit - after all, Palm OS
has a stack, and it receives user input (read: buffers can be overflowed).
However, assuming we find a buggy Palm applet, we still need a usable code
that we can 'plant' (with minor changes) in such a future exploit. The code
can be anything - it will only be used to prove the concept.
Before developing something like this ourselves (and plunging into this
aweful Motorola assembly) I would like to know if anyone here already did
that or can do that easily.

Anyone who's interested in this or think they can help, please let me know.

Regards,
Aviram Jenik
Beyond Security Ltd.
http://www.BeyondSecurity.com