Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: weird bug found

From: drgenius () WORLDONLINE NL (drgenius)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:42:07 +0200

Mark Collins wrote:

It could also be a reassigned port...

some sysadmins (like me) change the port numbers of anything which could be
used for exploits (telnet, ftp, ssh) which the standard users don't need to
use (so having an http daemon on port 6667 would be a bad idea).

DALnet also uses Port 7000 as the default port, but I don't know of any
other IRC networks which recommend this as the default port.

Easiest way to find out what it is is to telnet to it and try a few random
commands.

====
Mark Collins (aka Nurgle)
WWW: http://www.thisisnurgle.org.uk