Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ie5 and .doc URLs

From: george_gales () NON HP COM (George Gales)
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 07:33:47 -0600

The _vti_inf.html and _vti_bin/shtml.exe are related to Microsoft FrontPage,
which has server components for both Windows and Unix, including most Apache
incarnations.

As far as the POST method goes, it's just another way to submit form data
back to the host - in this case, it's how the browser is communicating with
shtml.exe.  Most forms nowadays submit data with the POST method, rather
than the GET method, to keep sensitive data out of the URL.

But this still doesn't explain what the heck IE5 was doing.... everything
below the first line seems superflous:
        xxx - "GET /~yoda/document.doc HTTP/1.0" 200 83456
        xxx - "OPTIONS /~yoda HTTP/1.0" 301 230
        xxx - "GET /_vti_inf.html HTTP/1.0" 200 3042
        xxx - "POST /_vti_bin/shtml.exe/_vti_rpc HTTP/1.0" 302 215
        xxx - "OPTIONS /~yoda/document.doc HTTP/1.0" 200 -
Perhaps IE5 is checking to see if the file is writable/uploadable, so it can
un-gray the Edit button?

Simon