Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Possible problem with NT Domains

From: brycewalter () HOTMAIL COM (Bryce Walter)
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 16:14:51 GMT

NT DC's do use a authentication method between them.  There's a shared
secret key and information based off that key is shared when they go to do
updates.  This key is changed on a regular basis.  If you search around MS's
site, you'll find KB articles on the bad stuff that happens if you have a DC
offline for several days (its key becomes outdated and the PDC won't let it
synchronize w/ it anymore)

I am not sure this is the right forum (this is my first post etc), so I
will ask anyway....

This relates to Windows NT Domains. I have limited C skills so I was
wondering if someone with better skills might take a look at this...

It seems that in a WinNT 4.0 based domain there is no authentication of
domain controller to domain controller access other than the use of the
SMB protocol. I observed the behaviour of a PDC and a BDC on the same
network for this. Basically on startup it appears that the BDC contacts
the PDC and sets up a TCP connection (actually it seems to set up two,
which seem to expire and be replaced over time), then runs the SMB
protocol on top which seems to authenticate the domain controller to
domain controller communication based on process id. This is a bit fuzzy
as I looked at a while ago... but anyway...

For example, I started the PDC then the BDC. They came up and established
thier usual couple of SMB based connections, then I ran the syncronisation
command at the BDC, this seemed to result in a request being sent to the
PDC which then syncronised the relevant BDC. The syncronisation command on
the PDC sent no request, it simply syncronised the whole domain. All well
and good. The use of the syncronisation command meant that I could sniff
the un-network-hashed (not plaintext) passwords off the wire, so I began
to think... what if?

I know that ARP spoofing between the PDC and BDC is easy so I thought
would it be possible to spoof a new connection to the PDC from the BDC
and execute a command with Domain Admin privelages (as the machine
accounts for domain controllers seem to have) with no requirement for
passwords? (as the machine accounts for domain controllers seem to have
none). Alternatively it may be possible to hijack a TCP session between
the BDC and PDC, and spoof the SMB protocol on top of that to issue a
request for command execution on the PDC.... dunno.

So I looked around libnet would seem to be the answer for the TCP spoofing
and the samba protocol would give me an idea about the smb requirements...

Then I started to re-learn C and got distracted before I could do anything
useful with this....

Also, it seems that in the right environment PDCs and BDCs also operate
IPX style connections to the same thing (which are much easier to spoof
itr seems) to do much the same thing....

Anyway, ideas?

One last thing, this investigation implies a same subnet spoofing attack,
however
I see no reason why blind spoofing could not be performed with the right
tools... And
I seem to have read somewhere that Win2000 has changed its method of
authenticating
network users, is this possible domain problem still there??

dif