Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Another New Worm?

From: mikey () BROCKMAN ORG (Michael M Brockman)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 20:46:48 -0700

What I was trying to do was reduce the likelyhood of copy cat viruses.  AV
vendors have a firm policy of never giving virus samples to anyone who we
are not sure will be responsible in their handling of the virus.

Dan, the above statement borders on censorship. What gives you or anybody the
right to decide what source code I am allowed to review? This restriction does
nothing to stop the flow of copy cat viruses. People are creative, and if they
decide to write a virus, it is a simple fact that there is NOTHING you can do
to slow them down. Period - End of story...

Justin - my problem had nothing to do with problems handling viruses,
you should try reading more carefully.

Let me ask the list, did one person on this list use this posting to
better protect their environment?

Dan Schrader
Trend Micro

By providing a link, I was given a chance to confirm what I read on many of the
AV vendors notifications. You see - I am the primary care giver to my network.
I don't relinquish that control to ANYONE.  Do you think that I can blame the
AV Vendors when my network crashes? It's my butt thats on the line, not yours.
I am going to make informed decisons concerning security, and if that means I
need to analyze source code ... Then that's exactly what I will do.

Michael M Brockman
CTO/Research and Development
Viztera Corporation
mike () viztera com