Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: HELP with IE Network Problem...

From: Zoa_Chien <zoachien () SECURAX ORG>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 22:06:47 +0200

Something a bit related..

Did anyone else noticed suspicious behaviour with the proxy option in IE ?
I noticed several times that even with a proxy address filled in, and enabled, IE sometimes does NOT use the proxy (guess when the proxy times out, IE skips the proxy settings instead of giving some error like Opera does) .. and if the proxy option is filled in, but disabled, IE sometimes does use the proxy anyway.

Zoa_Chien
zoachien () securax org

I'm having the same problem with IE 5 on Win98. I don't have
any exclusions setup, just a squid proxy running on a Linux
box. IE decides to not use my proxy when I start it up, but
it remembers all the proxy settings. And to fix it, all I
have to do is click "OK" in IE's proxy settings. It's quite
annoying, but I can't find a permanent fix. You would think
Microsoft would catch a bug this big, but then again it is
Microsoft after all. Netscape likes to crash and/or screw up
all the time, so sometimes I have to use IE. Netscape for
Linux works a lot better, but sometimes I have to
use Windows. Maybe I should install Opera again...

-Weston

---

I know this may be off topic but I was hoping that
there might be someone out there that may be able to
help me.

At my job we have IE set up on our machines using our
network. In the network settings in IE, we have proxy
servers put in along with an exclusion list on the
bottom. We can get that set up fine, and IE works
without a problem, but then usually the next day, when
we log into our machines, the proxy's and exclusion
list mysteriously dissapears. Other times, it will
still be there, but IE wont work at all. We are using
NT 4.0 with SP5. Does anyone out there know what can
be done to keep the settings in there? Or what may be
causing them to disspear?

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,

Adam