Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Advisory on (Award) BIOS default/backdoor passwords

From: rnicolas () GMX NET (Nicolas Rachinsky)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 01:45:52 +0200

You have to type AWARD?SW on a German keyboard to get AWARD_SW.

OK, then Award does a flawed conversion to ASCII. Maybe it assumes
american keyboards. Then maybe we have to assume that with some keyboards
award.sw is allright too.
I think the BIOS assumes a US American keyboard.

Regarding AWARD_PW, that was on an german keyboard as well? I wonder if
german keyboards might be really weird and come in two different setups
with different scancdes for underscore, that might explain it.
I think I used the American Layout (But I can't find out because I'm no
longer at school)

Better to list a password from [a-z] or [0-9]
The German keyboard layout swaps the z and y key in respect to the American

NR