Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Reading PC BIOS "flash" (NVRAM)

From: anorexia () TELKOM NET (AnorEXia)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:45:46 +0400

Hum, The Intel Flash memories Specs? I think it is a good res. altough
Intel is not famous for following standards and their Flash memory is one
of the most expenisve, take a look

http://developer.intel.com

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Bluefish wrote:

I'm the main developer of !BIOS, a PC BIOS Security and Maintains
toolkit. I've recieved questions about adding a flash support to the
toolkit.

This is in light of three factors;

 - Flashes are known to contain algorithms and deafult passwords;
   at least two cases of reverse-engineering flashes or RAM dumps are
   known to be behind successfull BIOS password crackers.

 - The Flashupdates are often compressed and/or encrypted, to simply dump
   current flash should prove to reduce work.

 - There is a shortage of utility in this field; !BIOS can currently only
   dump BIOS dedicated RAM areas, and some flash-update-deciphers exists.

So, therefor I'm interested in pointers to sites, books or sourcecode
which reads from the common PC BIOS "flash".

     http://www.11a.nu || http://bluefish.11a.nu
    eleventh alliance development & security team