Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: some things to play with

From: vlad () SANDY RU (Vladimir Dubrovin)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:40:39 +0400

Hello Firstname Lastname,

14.07.00 15:16, you wrote: some things to play with;

F> no it's not.. i can be sure that argv[2] == NULL when argc = 2,
F> which gives argc=0 to the called program, with argv[0] == NULL
F> and a null pointer dereference in strrchr().

Behavior  may  vary between systems. At least in cygwin called process
will  have  argc == 1 and argv[0] point to real file location. I guess
some secure system will also behave this way (argv[0] always points to
real  file)  to  prevent  attacks  on the suid/sgid programs which use
argv[0] to self-reload.

   Vladimir Dubrovin                  Sandy, ISP
    Sandy CCd chief               Customers Care dept
  http://www.sandy.ru           Nizhny Novgorod, Russia

http://www.security.nnov.ru