Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: format-string exploit under Wndows?

From: sgp () TELSATGP COM PL (Slawek)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:11:55 +0200

On Thursday, July 13, 2000 2:37 PM, Bluefish wrote:
sprintf(errmsg, _("%s: Interrupt/Exception caugh "), prg);
fprintf(stderr, errmsg);
The important for me is fprintf() without proper format string.
So is it possible to exploit that vulnerbility in fprintf() by putting
some evil code to 'prg' ? Assuming it is less than 1024 because of buffer
overflow in sprintf() :)
Under Unix, you don't want people to be able to write to a terminal
unfiltered because it can be used to send commands like "rm -rf /" through
ANSI features (or whatever terminal mode is in use)

Well, I think this time it is not about ANSI bombs but formatting errors. %s
%n etc. can be put in "prg" and I'm almost sure this can be exploited.

On the other hand there's no need for such exploits - make is executed with
the same privileges that the user who is invoking it and only he could
exploit it. Why should he do it? What could he gain from this?

Bye,
Slawek