Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ICQ Pass Cracker.

From: robertw () WOJO COM (Robert Wojciechowski Jr.)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 01:21:15 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: WolF Knox [SMTP:wolfbh () BIGFOOT COM]
Reply To:     wolfbh () bigfoot com [SMTP:wolfbh () bigfoot com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2000, 13:38:02
To:   VULN-DEV () SECURITYFOCUS COM
Subject:      ICQ Pass Cracker.

Hello all,
One day i was doing absolutely nothing on the net and i though, hell,
why not make a password crack for ICQ since it's only 8 chars? something
like, you put that long-lost-UIN-with-fake-email in a field and the
program will try all the possibles combinations to discover the
password, of course, 8 chars is relatively small....the program would
need to have some kind of pause/resume system, like you try today, you
need to disconnect, you pause, go offline, later you come back and try
again resuming since the point you stopped.

I think it's a good ideia.

If you are talking about local password attacks, this is pretty easy.  I
think there are many password crackers out on the net if you search.

I don't know about the latest versions (99b), but I recall that ICQ stored
passwords in PLAINTEXT in the .dat file located in <ICQDIR>\db or
<ICQDIR>\db99b, etc.  I checked my .dat file, and found an old password in
there... plain text.  I can't seem to get rid of it, so I will just hex edit
it out.  It amazes me how lazy some programmers can be.

If you want to guess passwords remotely, it's going to take a while.  You
are much better off not using brute force, and using a dictionary based
attack.  Even then, if they notice you are doing that they might just lock
out the account, block you IP, etc for thousands upon thousands of password
attempts.

I hate ICQ.

Robert S. Wojciechowski Jr.
robertw () wojo com