Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Palm Bean Lock feature

From: Kingpin <kingpin () atstake com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 13:00:09 -0500

[For those interested, the advisory in question was for the Secure
Computing SafeWord e.iD soft token which stores the PIN and critical
information in a Palm database file (original advisory at
http://www.atstake.com/research/advisories/2000/a121400-1.txt)]

The "Beam Lock" protection bit is a single bit (e.g "beam" or "don't
beam") that is associated with each database on the Palm device. Because
all databases are readable by any other application on the Palm, it is
trivial to cycle through all the databases (or choose a particular
database) and change that bit. A tool I wrote awhile back (2 years?)
demonstrates this.

You can grab it from http://www.atstake.com/research/tools.html

-kp