Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Router worm exploiting poor SNMP security.

From: Fyodor <fygrave () SCORPIONS NET>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:18:29 -0500

of a snmpd exploit that can execute remote commands, but I'm not
sure, are MIB's even supposed to contain executable stuff? If
there's this
Of course you can execute some commands remotely on cisco routers if
you have the write community of the router. This is mostly used to
download configurations to tftp servers or remotely restarts a router
without having to login.
For example: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/21.html
But I don't thing that one may use this to create a virus or trojan.

well, at least you can create trinoo-like distributed flooding network
with it (you can execute ping and similar commands over snmp too, verified).