Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Router worm exploiting poor SNMP security.

From: nsc () ERIS DERA GOV UK
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:58:48 +0000

[snip]

Let's say I write a little program, or batch script that
starts by taking advantage of this.
- This little script takes a look at which snmp
communities are stored in the router MIB and write
this to a file.
- Next step is to look for other routers nearby by
looking at my routing table, ospf neighbours etc.
- Then my script checks to see if any of the
communities it found, are read/write on any nearby
routers by sending a SNMP packet.
- If a read/write community is found. It uploads the list
of known communities and itself to the nearby router.
Then execute the script on that router.

can you execute scripts on routers via snmp writes? I thought this required
console access. Also can you upload files via snmp writes? I would be very
surprised if you could....

The only way I could think of doing it is placing the payload in the
configuration 'script' and reconfiguring via snmp and rebooting forcing a
re-configure via tftp or whatever, this may be noticed.

I don't know whether this would work i.e. how powerful the configuration
'script' can be.

regards,

Nathan
--
N.Catlow () eris dera gov uk |  All opinions  | IT Security, DERA,
                          | are my own and | WWB009, St Andrews Rd,
                          |   not DERA's   | Malvern, Worcs, England.
*I'd love to give my 0.02 worth - Have you got change for a dollar?*