Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Netscape 6 beta2 opens the net?

From: "Everhart, Glenn (FUSA)" <GlennEverhart () FIRSTUSA COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 13:30:36 -0400

In trying out Netscape 6 beta2, I've been using the new Pelican
beta of SafeTNet which runs network apps in an OS enforced
sandbox in windows. Running the Netscape beta, I find that
it is being flagged for opening a socket to accept incoming
connections from the Internet.

This doesn't seem like an activity that has business being run
at all where no notice is given. I don't have smart update
enabled, nor anything else immediately obvious that might give
rise to expected incoming traffic, and have set the browser to
start with a blank window.

(A ref for Pelican is http://www.pelicansecurity.com for those
interested in doing antivirus or anti-mobile-code correctly.)

Glenn Everhart