Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Remote exploitation of network scanners?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () INSECURE ORG>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 16:53:16 -0700

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Adam Prato wrote:

I believe both the l0pht, nmap, and bass that was supposedly
built to do some massive whole-internet-biopsy type of scan for vulnerabilities
have all had some sort of remote attack.

No.  Nobody has ever demonstrated a remote exploit against Nmap.  And
local attacks aren't an issue because Nmap should never be run with
privileges (eg suid root).  Sure, a malicious target could slow Nmap down
a bit by trickling responses back slowly, but I don't think you'll be able
to cause Nmap to do something nasty like execute arbitrary code or clobber
files.

But don't get too complacent.  I ship the source code with Nmap for a
reason -- so that paranoid (smart!) users can determine what it does and
even do a security audit if desired.  You can grab the latest source from
http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ .  If you do manage to find anything, let me
know.  I'll write and advisory & give you prominent credit or (your
choice) I'll just give you a URL for the patch so you can write and issue
your own advisory.

Cheers,
Fyodor

--
Fyodor                            'finger pgp () pgp insecure org | pgp -fka'
Frustrated by firewalls?          Try nmap: http://www.insecure.org/nmap/