Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Wonky Mail Filters from vuln-dev subscribers

From: Bluefish <11a () GMX NET>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 21:45:42 +0200

In agree to dr, these filters are anoying. Most vacation message I in turn
filter away, so I suppose some messages are lost in the cyberspace sent to
me (although I don't send anoying messages about it ;)

******Message from InterScan E-Mail VirusWall NT******

The following mail was blocked by InterScan eManager Content Management.

Source mailbox: <dr () DURSEC COM>
Destination mailbox(es): <VULN-DEV () SECURITYFOCUS COM>
Policy: Sexual Discrimination
Action: Quarantine

Sender, Content filter has detected a sensitive e-mail.

******************* End of message *******************

Anyone else thinking about start keeping record of
anyoning/stupid/dangerous features in AV-utilies?

InterScan E-Mail VirusWall NT
  - adding a forgeable "virus free" message, simplifies fooling users
  - over sensitive "Policy: Sexual Discrimination" feature

dr salomon (If I recall correctly, maybe needs checking old archives)
  - replies to encrypted zip (and viruses as well?) with sensitive
    information about the host running the AV-utility

Anyway, I've recieved quarantine messages as well. Mayhap domains using
abusive softwares should be blacklisted? What if someone starts listing
"exploit" or "vuln" as explicit language? Some idiots classed one of my
messages as bad, looking through it I've come to the conclusion
that the only word possibly interprentable as explicit is "backdoor".
Congratulations to the most insane filter so far! The next step is
obviously to blacklist the characters X & Z, as they are commonly used by
porn and "warez" sites.

     http://www.11a.nu || http://bluefish.11a.nu
    eleventh alliance development & security team