Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Windows: Local Security Workarounds-DD

From: euphoria () VVM COM (Diedra Holley)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 07:58:22 -0500

Is there a way to get around someone using cmoskill on a system...I
recently had a friend that bought a laptop from a friend of his, the
friend didn't give him any of the passwords...specifically the
supervisor password I needed to disable one of the programs to allow me
to get in try and fix it....I don't recall the name of the program now
but it allowed you to' backtrack' to  another "boot sequence" to
possibly fix the problem...I couldn't get back far enough to reboot
before the password was enabled....I used the cmoskill and it got rid of
ALL the passwords on the system, not just the bios password...it was
entirely too easy...surely there must be a way around it....

Also, when I was playing around with my own system, I found that when I
system with softice on it goes down and you try to reboot that the
debugger will kick in on reboot and begin 'trying to hack itself' and
will therefore lock the system....I have my boot from disk enabled and
tried to use it, but I had the same problem.  As soon as the disk was
in, softice kicked in again and started doing its thing....I do not have
softice set to load on startup....

A little lost for things to try....

One last thing....I have Cain1.0...it is a password recovery program...I
have been using it to try and delete users from my ICQ list that have
used my system and put their information on it...it would seem that Cain
will not pick up web based passwords and will only pick up sys passwords
after they have been used once....is there another program I can use to
get rid of this info from my system?

Ok, I will stop babbling on...I am sure there is an easy way to get
through all of this, would sure like to know what it is...

Thanks in Advance..
DD