Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: buffer overflow???

From: scut () NB IN-BERLIN DE (Sebastian)
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 17:40:40 +0200

On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 01:00:25AM -0700, Cyber_Bob wrote:

The attachment explains everything inside itself...

I've taken a quick look on the file and the author seems to be totally
clueless about the C language and what about what a pointer is. Also there
are the weirdest type castings, such as (char *) casted to (char **) and
(char []) casted to (char) etc. If you experience something weird when
running this program it is because the author lacked any serious understanding
of what he is doing. (Hint to the author: use the -Wall option when compiling)

Sorry for being harsh, but we shouldn't allow every C newbie who hasn't
understood how C pointers work yet (which I do not claim to be easy however)
mailing their broken programs to this mailing list claiming it could be
an overflow. This irritates other non-experienced users and doesn't benefit
to anyone.

Cyber_Bob (cyberbob () neteze com)

ciao,
scut