Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Newbie in Jeopardy

From: pram512 () YAHOO COM (Me Uh, K.)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 13:28:21 -0700

from our FAQ:
(http://securityfocus.com/forums/vuln-dev/intro.html)
<quote>
The VULN-DEV list exists to allow people to report
potential or undeveloped holes. The idea is to help
people who lack expertise, time, or information about
how to research a hole do so.
</quote>

I am all of those things, so I don't know if this is
really a <potential> hole that should be reported.
(but that's why lists are moderated by people who know
more than me, isn't it? :)
Anyway - tying to play muti-player Jeopardy on Sony's
game site (http://station.sony.com) requires that you
grant their applet 2 seperate High Risk Security
privileges: (both signed by Sony's certificates,
validated by Verisign)

Reading, modifcation or deletion of any of your files
-AND-
Contacting and Connecting with other Computers over a
network

Now, I've got NO experience with security, but it
seems to me that this could be a seriously bad
combination, that could lead to total compromise of
your machine, if say, Sony's network wasn't as
well-organized as they'd like to believe.  (And to
think Dad said that nothing bad could ever come of
Jeopardy:)
Suggestions/advice/ect on how I can investigate this
potential security risk?
Am I wasting my time?

(obviously, in and of itself, the security of sony's
video games are not particularly important, but I
figure it's a great learning experience, and would
make a fabulous tutorial regarding Java security
analysis)

-mia k. (who just wants to waste her lunch hour
spouting phrases like 'What is the South Nile Delta
without having to worry about having her computer expolde)