Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ssh quirks...

From: BlueBoar () THIEVCO COM (Blue Boar)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 19:52:31 -0800

Hello, moderator?

Your statements are simply not correct... and it's not the job of each
and every application to inflict upon the system its opinion of what
"standard unix behaviour" should be.  Just imagine if this were the case
and you had 15 different apps each thinking the "standard unix
behaviour" was something different -- or worse, something completely
contradictory.

I'm not sure discussing "Standard unix behaviour" would be productive
here...

I'm not sure what criticism to respond to here.

Much as the moderator wishes it wasn't the case, he doesn't fully
comprehend the nuances of each issue.  Consequently, things will
get approved that others can easily see as non-issues, simply because
the moderator doesn't understand.

"Standard unix behavior" is appropriate for discussion if:
-It demonstrates that a problem isn't a security hole
-It demonstrates that a problem IS a security hole
-It demonstrates that a problem is a hole on nearly all unices because it's
"standard behavior" (ideal situation).

Meanwhile, if some of us need a reminder that something is supposed to work
that way, so be it.  It's a discussion list.

In short, a note such as yours will help to shorten a discussion about an
incorrect tangent.  I can pretty much guarantee that I'll unknowingly let
through such posts in the future, too.  Apologies in advance.

                                                BB