Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Owning privileged processes under UnixWare

From: btellier () USA NET (Tellier, Brock)
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 20:24:45 -0000

Greetings,

I hope some of you have been following my UnixWare posts on Bugtraq because this development will be mostly based on
that.

Basically, UnixWare programs gain privileges not only from being suid/sgid, but also from /etc/security/tcb/privs.
Some of the additional privileges gained might be the ability to setuid() at will or read/write to any file on the
system regardless of permissions.

The major problem is that UnixWare still allows you to own one of these privileged processes, inasmuch as you can still
truss(1) them.  Since you can truss them, I would assume have complete control over the process.  Since I'm not exactly
Mr. procfs, I was wondering if there is a way to be able to launch one of these privileged programs and hijack the
process, making it open(), setuid() or something else.

When I asked horizon about this, he mentioned that I might want to try using the old LD_PRELOAD trick instead.
However, UnixWare doesn't seem to support this. Maybe there is another, simpler way to cause the privileged program to
do something silly.

Any ideas?

Brock Tellier
UNIX Systems Administrator