tcpdump mailing list archives

Dropping support in tcpdump for older versions of libpcap?

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 18:49:05 -0700

A while ago, tcpdump and its configuration script were modified - mainly by Bill Fenner, as I remember - so that it
didn't require a contemporary version of libpcap, and could be built with older versions of libpcap.

The intent, as I remember, was to allow somebody who was using a system that provided both libpcap and tcpdump to build
a more recent version of tcpdump without having to download and build a newer version of libpcap.

Currently, at least in theory, we support versions of libpcap at least as old as 0.4, which was the last version
released by LBL.

tcpdump, for example, supports versions of libpcap that don't include pcap_findalldevs(); that routine first appeared
in libpcap 0.7, which was released in 2001, almost 23 years ago.

It also supports versions of libpcap that don't include pcap_create() and pcap_activate(); those first appeared in
libpcap 1.0, which was released in 2008, almost 16 years ago.

Is there any reason not to require libpcap 1.0 or later?  If there is, is there any reason not to require libpcap 0.7
or later?