tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: HP-UX support and portability

From: Rick Jones via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:07:42 -0700

--- Begin Message --- From: Rick Jones <jonesrick () google com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:07:42 -0700
If https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-UX#Version_history is any indication,
there are ~21 months left on HP's (er, sorry, HPE's) own support for HP-UX.

happy benchmarking,

rick jones

On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 1:48 PM Denis Ovsienko <denis () ovsienko info> wrote:

Hello all.

HP-UX is one of the OSes nominally supported by libpcap and tcpdump,
but it is rather difficult (or expensive) to find a live HP-UX host with
shell for testing and development.  So before I forget again, this is
far from ideal, but is the best reference material I managed to find for
reasoning about HP-UX portability:

http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Networking/Admin/libpcap-1.10.4/
http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Networking/Admin/tcpdump-4.99.4/

The "source code" tarballs are not the pristine release archives, but
archives of working copies after applying the patches and running
./configure, so there is a config.h with (or without) the various
HAVE_xxxx macros.

The binary packages also include description of changes applied before
building, perhaps some of that could be up-streamed.

--
    Denis Ovsienko