tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [tcpdump] About HAVE_NO_PRINTF_Z

From: Denis Ovsienko via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 09:04:34 +0000

--- Begin Message --- From: Denis Ovsienko <denis () ovsienko info>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 09:04:34 +0000
On Thu, 12 Jan 2023 00:10:22 -0800
Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
wrote:

So, if we care about %z support:

      on UN*Xes, we'd have to drop support for OSes that don't
provide a C library that supports it;

Thank you for the detailed analysis, Guy.  I did not realize the support
is in the libc space rather than C99 space.  Do you think it would be
appropriate to use [again] %lu instead of %zu for size_t and %ld instead
of %z for ssize_t on systems that don't have %zu and %z?

For that the HAVE_NO_PRINTF macro would have to be ported to CMake, but
then the currently conditional tests would be able to pass everywhere
(i.e. on Solaris 9).

Whatever is the eventual solution, in any case from today's perspective
it makes sense to stop masking these test failures.

--
    Denis Ovsienko

--- End Message ---