tcpdump mailing list archives

Resend: Request for new DLT Value

From: Chris Brandson via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 15:50:51 -0800

--- Begin Message --- From: Chris Brandson <chris.brandson () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 15:50:51 -0800
Hello,

I haven’t heard any response, perhaps because I was not subscribed the the mailing list? Apologies is this a repeat.

We are working on a new encasulation for ITU G.9959 frames. The plan is for it to be modelled after the
LINKTYPE_IEEE802_15_4_TAP in the IEEE 802.15.4 TAP Link Type Specification
<https://github.com/jkcko/ieee802.15.4-tap/blob/master/IEEE%20802.15.4%20TAP%20Link%20Type%20Specification.pdf> .
However because of the signifigant differences between IEEE 802.15.4 and ITU G.9959 we will be publishing a new ITU
G.9959 TAP specification. The TAP Specification will contain TLV values for ITU G.9959 specific meta-data such as
region, mode, channel, RSSI, etc. and the payload will be actual ITU G.9959 frames themselves.

We suggest a Linktype name of LINKTYPE_ITU_G9959_TAP and Description

ITU-T G.9959 Short range narrow-band digital radiocommunication with a pseudo-header containing TLVs with metadata
preceding the G.9959 header.

The ITU Recommendation G.9959 document can be found here https://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.9959
<https://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.9959>. Work is ongoing on a wireshark dissector (hence the request for DLT LINKTYPE)
and the TAP encapulation is still in development and will be published shortly.

Thank-you and please let me know if any additional information is required.

+ Chris Brandson

Exegin Technologies
401 - 2071 Kingsway Avenue
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 6N2
Canada

This communication (and any information or material transmitted with this communication) is confidential, may be
privileged and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any
review, retransmission, conversion to hard copy, copying, circulation, publication, dissemination, distribution,
reproduction or other use of this communication, information or material is strictly prohibited and may be illegal. If
you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone or by return email, and delete this
communication, information and material from any computer, disk drive, diskette or other storage device or media. Thank
you.

--- End Message ---