tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: configure script problem while working on extention

From: Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 11:49:57 -0700

--- Begin Message --- From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 11:49:57 -0700
On Aug 12, 2022, at 7:27 AM, Christian via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org> wrote:

I pick up this thread of mine again from 7th march of this year (wireshark extension for a Kernel Module (like
Usbmon)​ ) enhanced with a configure issue,

Unless I've missed something, "again" means "again, in a different mailing list", as the only previous message I can
find about it was to the wireshark-dev mailing list...

which was discussed lot of times ( tcpdump configure script doesn't correctly handle static builds ). But Im not
sure, if this is a real issue for github.

In my case, I was able to build Tcpdump with these steps:

...and my response, in the previous mail thread, to the question

The functions kpnode_findalldevs and kpnode_create are in my files pcap-kpnode.c and pcap-kpnode.h. They are not
finished yet but the subject of this mail is for now, how to connect these functions into libpcap and Wireshark so
that they are evoked if a device /dev/kpnode emerges.

was

You do it in libpcap.

So:

Get libpcap with git, step into the directory invoke: ./configure --disable-dbus --without-dbus --without-dpdk
--disable-rdma

then make and make install.

OK, so far so good.

Then I opened the tcpdump.zip archive

(.zip?  Not .tar.gz?  The current releases from

        https://www.tcpdump.org/index.html#latest-releases

are provided in .tar.gz form, as are all the other release in

        https://www.tcpdump.org/release/

Gzipped tarballs are probably easier to extract on a UN*X, as they're likely to have either a version of tar that reads
gzipped files or have gzcat and tar; to unpack a zip archive requires a command such as unzip or a GUI tool that
unpacks zip archives.  Perhaps you mean ".zip archive" in a metaphorical sense of "some form of archive"?  Or is this a
ZIP archive provided by somebody other than tcpdump.org?)

within the libpcap directory. step into the directory, call ./configure and it build. success!

There's no requirement to unpack the tcpdump source in the libpcap source directory.  If you *haven't* installed the
libpcap that you built from source, the best place to unpack it is in the *parent* directory of the libpcap source
directory, but if you *have* installed that libpcap, the tcpdump configure script won't have to look for it in a
directory at the same level as the tcpdump source directory, so you can unpack the tcpdump repository anywhere.

Then I took my changes for libpcap from march, a pcap-kpnode.c and pcap-kpnode.h (attached)

No, they're not attached.  Either you forgot to attach them or some mail software stripped the attachments.
Michael/Denis/François - do we strip attachments at any point before sending messages to the list?

further I added into pcap.c:

100: #include "pcap-kpnode.h"

690: {kpnode_findalldevs, kpnode_create }

and in Makefile.in I added my sourcefiles

after that, I evoked make clean and the configure call again like that one before with all these switches. Then make
and make install. The library was successfully build, also with my changes. Then I unzipped the tcpdump archive again
to start from scratch and this time ./configure leads to that error message about no pcap_loop support. I added the
config.log as well.

There were no attachments to the copy of your message that I received, so if you attached it, something stripped the
attachment.

--- End Message ---