tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New DLT_ type request

From: Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 11:56:12 -0800

--- Begin Message --- From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 11:56:12 -0800
On Jan 5, 2022, at 9:38 AM, Timotej Ecimovic via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org> wrote:

I'm requesting an addition of the new DLT type. I'd call it: DLT_SILABS_DEBUG_CHANNEL.
The description of the protocol is here:
https://github.com/SiliconLabs/java_packet_trace_library/blob/master/doc/debug-channel.md

In case of errors (such as the ] not being present after the length bytes) the recovery is typically accomplished by
the deframing state engine reading forward until a next [ is found, and then attempting to resume the deframing. This
case can be detected, because the payload of individual message contains the sequence number.

So, presumably:

        1) all packets in a LINKTYPE_SILABS_DEBUG_CHANNEL capture begin with a '[';

        2) all bytes after the '[' and the payload bytes specified by the length should be ignored as being from a
framing error, unless there's just one byte equal to ']'?

I.e., code reading the capture file does *not* have to do any deframing?

What do the bits in the "Flags" field of the 3.0 debug message mean?  Does "few bytes of future-proofing flags" mean
that there are currently no flag bits defined, so that the field should always be zero, but there might be flag bits
defined in the future?

The types supported are listed in this file.

The file in question:

https://github.com/SiliconLabs/java_packet_trace_library/blob/master/silabs-pti/src/main/java/com/silabs/pti/debugchannel/DebugMessageType.java

lists a bunch of message types; is there a document that describes the format of messages with each of those types?

--- End Message ---