tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump build doc for Windows

From: Denis Ovsienko via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 00:02:14 +0000

--- Begin Message --- From: Denis Ovsienko <denis () ovsienko info>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 00:02:14 +0000
On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 14:23:40 -0800
Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net> wrote:

[...]

They're both reasonably up-to-date (they both mention Npcap and the
use of CMake), but the latter is more detailed.

I'll check whether the first document says anything that's not
mentioned in the second, and try to merge that into the second one.
Then we can probably get rid of the first one.

Thank you.

The top level README.md should probably point to doc/README.Win32.md
(or README.Windows.md, given that 1) Windows can also be 64-bit and
2) 16-bit Windows is pretty much dead, so people are unlikely to get
confused and say "OK, how do I build this 16-bit?", the answer to
which is "we don't even support that on UN*X...".

I never thought about it, now that you pointed it out the bit width
indeed looks out of place.

--
    Denis Ovsienko

--- End Message ---