tcpdump mailing list archives

Performance impact with multiple pcap handlers on Linux

From: Linus Lüssing via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 23:05:33 +0100

--- Begin Message --- From: Linus Lüssing <linus.luessing () c0d3 blue>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 23:05:33 +0100
Hi,

I was experimenting a bit with migrating from the use of
pcap_offline_filter() to pcap_setfilter().

I was a bit surprised that installing for instance 500 pcap
handlers with a BPF rule "arp" via pcap_setfilter() reduced
the TCP performance of iperf3 over veth interfaces from 73.8 Gbits/sec
to 5.39 Gbits/sec. Using only one or even five handlers seemed
fine (71.7 Gbits/sec and 70.3 Gbits/sec).

Is that expected?

Full test setup description and more detailed results can be found
here: https://github.com/lemoer/bpfcountd/pull/8

Regards, Linus

PS: And I was also surprised that there seems to be a limit of
only 510 pcap handlers on Linux.

--- End Message ---