tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [the-tcpdump-group/libpcap] Use tab instead of space in formatting pcap-int.h (#918)

From: Michael Richardson via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 17:11:45 -0400 (EDT)

--- Begin Message --- From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 17:13:02 -0400
Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:
    >> I thought we wanted all spaces?

    > If we do, we should replace all the tabs in pcap-int.h with spaces; we
    > should at least be consistent, and change #918 fixed one inconsistent
    > case.

Let's agree that we are going towards spaces.
I think most files are using 8-space indents, a la Linux Kernel.

I'm not fond of forcing people to omit {} when there is a single line, but I
can live with it.

    > Spaces have the advantage that they don't get misinterpreted by editors
    > that think tabs occur every 4 spaces rather than the UN*X standard of 8
    > spaces.  Wireshark's been moving in that direction to some extent.

Agreed.

    >> I propose to put emacs and vim definitions into every file.

    > "Definitions" as in "modelines"?  Sounds reaonsable - Wireshark haz
    > them in most if not all files, and even has a Web page to generate
    > them:

    > https://www.wireshark.org/tools/modelines.html

good.
I will submit a whitespace change to master next week, and then a modeline fix.
Are there any integrations to github that will warn people to fix their
whitespace settings?

--
]     mcr () sandelman ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

--- End Message ---