tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New official link-layer type request

From: Damir Franusic <damir.franusic () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 01:26:43 +0200

Hi

LEAs SHOULD accept only ASN.1 BER encoded but that is not the case. I encountered a case where they wanted us

to convert that ASN.1 back to pcap. And the problem was that IRI is not packet data and that's why I would like a new DLT so I could either have a pcap file with all ELLE data or pcapng with mixed LinkLayer types with some blocks having DLT_ELEE for IRI data.

I am trying to make our product more professional and combine Wireshark with ETSI. With this dissector plugin and ELEE DLT I am actually doing pretty great.

I guess pcapng could be used by using SectionHeader block with ELEE DLT for LI data (IRI and CC((. I am doing my best and will continue do improve on that spec as promissed.

I could use pcapng which seems like a good idea nut I would still need that new ELEE DLT to set SectionHeader properly for IRI data that follows and also for CC data since unfortunately it also contains LI specific attributes. But You are right that pcapng could be ok.

I chose pcap since it's older and there's a better change for support and I have previously encountered one agency that actually demanded it.