tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Requesting DLT_* values for Ethernet switches proprietary tagging protocol

From: Andrew Lunn <andrew () lunn ch>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 20:52:18 +0100

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 10:19:04AM -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote:
On 1/18/19 6:13 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net> wrote:
    >> OK, then requesting 10 DLT values, one per-tag is reasonable?

    > Yes.

This is totally how it should be done.

Guy, do we want to allocate 16 or 32 values, aligned, so that the
it be can DLT_TAG_BASE + DSA_TAG_xx maps?  Are the kernel values stable?
And to leave room for growth.

The kernel values are stable because they are now (as of 4.19) part of
the sysfs attribute ABI. Having a base to offset from would ne neat.

Hi Florian

As Guy points out, we should probably move them into a uapi
header. That makes it clear the values are ABI.

        Andrew