tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap_inject change?

From: Steve Bourland <sbourland () swri edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 16:42:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018, Michael Richardson wrote:

Steve Bourland <sbourland () swri edu> wrote:
   > I'm a little confused, why would the capture mechanism matter for the
   > pcap_inject call?  I am capturing both senders packets on the same
   > machine (a single tcpdump call).  I was thinking my next move would be
   > to grab the 18.04 kernel and install it on the 16.04 machine to see if
   > that triggers the behavior on the 16.04 machine.

I'm sorry, I mis-understood.  I read pcap_inject, then immediately forgot
that point... then understood that you were saying that there was garbage
at the end of the captured packets!

So I have no idea.
What kernel versions are involved?
What does strace on each show for the system call that sends the packet?

--
]     mcr () sandelman ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

No problem, I have found the 16.04 (using 4.4.0-<something>) was "good" but once I installed kernel 4.15.0-34 it started misbehaving. Now realized I have a third machine (does have different Intel NIC, but using the same driver, so a bit of a difference there) that is "well behaved" running 18.04...with kernel 4.15.0-32, so updating it to 4.15.0-34 to see if that "ruins" its behavior....

Yes, things broke moving from 4.15.0-32 to 4.15.0-34, so it looks like the change came with the move from -32 to -33 (the original machines showing the problem have the -33 kernel installed).

These kernels are what come with Ubuntu 18.04 from Canonical. Should I file a bug with them or do you have "better pull" and enough information to follow up on this? I am more than happy to continue to follow this, but I am going to be an unknown to folks vs. you.

Thanks so much for your help,
                Steve