tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: README.Win32 and INSTALL.md for libpcap

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 19:32:52 -0700

On Jun 24, 2018, at 6:39 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca> wrote:

The README.Win32 must be wrong now that we've done all this work...

It's *way* out of date; we're using CMake now, they'd probably want to download the WinPcap SDK rather than trying to
do a WinPcap build-from-source, they'll  need a newer Visual Studio to get the C99 features we're now allowing (e.g.,
variadic macros), it might also be possible to use Npcap, etc..

I feel that perhaps deleting it as I don't know what to put in it.

It might be nice to offer something, but I do Windows builds weirdly, on a Cygwin command line - I don't know whether
most people would want an all-GUI solution (CMake has a GUI, although I've never used it), or something from a Windows
(cmd.exe or PowerShell) command line, but, not having done either, I can't really contribute that.

I also don't know anything about building with MinGW or Cygwin tools.

(This also applies to tcpdump's Readme.Win32....)

I also suspect that many of the OS instructions in INSTALL.txt (now INSTALL.md)
(like about HPUX 9)  are obsolete.

The HP-UX 9 code probably hasn't been used in ages - the HP-UX *10* code probably hasn't been, either.  I've done test
builds on The Written Word's machines, but 1) the tests don't involve packet capture, just compiling and running "make
check" for tcpdump and 2) they don't have HP-UX 10, much less HP-UX 9.

And we can probably stop talking about NeXTSTEP, SINIX, SCO OSes including UnixWare, and SunOS 4.  (We can probably
even drop any code that attempts to support them, unless somebody *really* objects *and* is willing to make sure they
still work....)

While we're at it, we should either commit to supporting the FILES section or remove it.