tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for DLT value

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 09:26:51 -0700

On Apr 5, 2017, at 4:58 AM, Selvig, Bjorn <b.selvig () ti com> wrote:

We would like to support this new header also with pcap format. Our tools currently supports pcap format only.

Option 1 (single DLT value) sounds a bit simpler. It allows for sniffing of more than one protocol at a time even
with pcap format If I understand correctly, for example sniffing of BLE and 802.15.4 packets simultaneously.

As a first step, is it OK to go for a single DLT for this proposed header?

Anything's OK as long as I don't have to spend any time supporting it.

If somebody else wants to handle this DLT, go ahead.  I won't spend any more time on it, either here or in tcpdump or
in Wireshark; life's too short to deal with these "multiple types of link layer" LINKTYPE_/DLT_ values.