tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: One of these things is not like the others

From: Arien Vijn <arien () vijn net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 16:19:18 +0200

On May 24, 2017(21), at 21:23, Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca> wrote:

Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:
Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

Note that macOS's tcpdump has a -g flag ("g" for "greppable", more
greppable output being the purpose of the flag), which puts the IPv4
input back on one line:

How can we move to this format?

To make that the default and only format, we'd just have to turn

Yes... but are we going to screw people over with this change?

Most likely yes.

To add support for the -g flag, we'd just make that conditional at run time,
with a gflag field in the netdissect_options field.

I'm thinking, can we just make it the default?

It is likely that textual output is being parsed by scripts in many many places. Those scripts may not work properly
anymore when you change the default.

I think that it is best to keep the current behaviour and make the output that is easier parsable optional with the -g
flag.

— Arien