tcpdump mailing list archives

Support building libpcap on Unix'ish OS's with remote pcap support

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 01:37:51 +0100

Hello,

the attached patch is an attempt to get remote pcap working on macOS (and other
Unix'ish operating systems).

I then rebuild Wireshark and managed to configure a remote capture session. Unfortunately
I don't have an AP or other testdevice available right now. I *may* find a chance and time
on Friday to test this with an Extremenetworks AP.
What this patch does:
- Move remote-ext.h to pcap/remote-ext.h (plus necessary autotools changes):
  Inside pcap/ is a more consistent place to put it.
- Fix a small typo in a comment in remote-ext.h
- Add the necessary autotools changes for --enable-rpcap to compile and link.

With that said: When I open the rpcap dialog in Wireshark, I get an error message
but Wireshark continues without crashing:
(process:93925): GLib-CRITICAL **: guint g_hash_table_size(GHashTable *): assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed
But that is most likely a Wireshark issue.

While I'm at it: Does anyone know of a working rpcap server on Unix?

Please consider adding this patch (or maybe something inspired by it :-)
If not, please let me know what is missing to get rpcap support on Unix.

Thanks
   Jörg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>