tcpdump mailing list archives

Fwd: Request for link layer header type

From: Erik de Jong <erikdejong () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 19:15:12 +0100

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 8:12 AM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Feb 9, 2017, at 10:41 AM, Erik de Jong <erikdejong () gmail com> wrote:

You are correct, the packets encapsulated by the LoRaTap format will be
those from the PHYPayload as listed in section 4. This document details
the
LoRaWan protocol which is something that can run on top of the LoRa radio
phy layer. The LoRaTap could be of the LoRaWAN protocol or anything else
one might want to send over LoRa radios.

So what other protocols, if any, would be sent over LoRa radios?

If there's more than one protocol, will any systems that are saving pcap
or pcapng files containing LoRa packets know what protocol that is?  If so,
perhaps there should be more than one link-layer header type, one for each
protocol (even if they all share the same pseudo-header for radio
information).

The LoRa alliance propagates the LoRaWAN protocol as the protocol for LoRa
radios. However there is no reason why there couldn't be other protocols on
top, for research purposes etc. As there is no thing like the ethertype in
the specs this would be something like using "decode as" in Wireshark for
non IANA assigned port usage. The only thing we know for sure about
anything in a pcap with this link layer type is that it was captured from a
LoRa-compatible radio transmission. Obviously I'd recommend tools to
default to a LoRaWAN payload.