tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: DLT Request for Radio Data System (RDS)

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 12:20:18 -0700

On Sep 4, 2016, at 6:43 AM, Jonathan Brucker <jonathan.brucke () gmail com> wrote:

I am posting to request a value for DLT_RDS and LINKTYPE_RDS.

Radio Data System (RDS) is a communications protocol standard
published in 1992 for embedding small amounts of digital information
in conventional FM radio broadcasts.

The standard is also known as Radio Broadcast Data System (RBDS) in the US.

References and Specifications:

IEC 62106 Edition 3.0 (2015-03) "Specification of the radio data system (RDS) for VHF/FM sound broadcasting in the
frequency range from 87,5 MHz to 108,0 MHz", and earlier versions thereof.

The Offset Symbols are ASCII characters representing the detected
syndromes for the corresponding Information Words, and are used in
the interpretation of Information Words, as per RDS standard.

OK, so in this format the offset words are given as ASCII characters rather than as the bit sequences.

I've assigned a value of 265 for LINKTYPE_RDS and DLT_RDS, and added an entry for it in
http://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes.html; the update to that page probably won't appear immediately, but it should show up
in 24 hours or so.