tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Problems with ns Timestamps

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 11:50:32 -0700

On Jul 28, 2016, at 7:12 AM, Christian <christian.rupp.stuttgart () freenet de> wrote:

I have encountered a problem.

I am capturing Packages with hardware timestamps and nanosecond precision...but the timestamps are bugged.

sadly I'm not at the place where I captured the data, so the used used command might be slightly different, as I have
to work from my memory:
tcpdump -i eth4 port 33330 -v -tt -j adapter_unsynced --time-stamp-precision=nano > dumpfile

The problem is, that if the time is at below 100ms, the 0.1  field is not 0 as it should be, but doesn't exist.

So by "the 0.1 field" you mean "the tenths digit", so that, for example, a time stamp of 1.05 seconds would appear as
1.5?

And are you saying that libpcap is providing bad time stamps, with an incorrect nanoseconds field, or are you saying
that tcpdump is incorrectly printing a good time stamp?