tcpdump mailing list archives

Request DLT_/LINKTYPE_ value for vSockets

From: Gerard Garcia <ggarcia () deic uab cat>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 16:32:57 +0200

vSockets are used for host<>guest communication using the standard socket API. They already supported in the mainline Linux kernel and can be used in VMware VMs.

There is an ongoing work to implement a virtio transport which will add vSockets support to QEMU. Additionally, it will include a vsockmon device that will allow the host to monitor the data exchanged through vSockets.

The vsockmon device has already been reviewed and its header is already defined:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=146661193816961&w=2
https://github.com/GerardGarcia/linux/blob/vsockmon/include/uapi/linux/vsockmon.h

We have also implemented a tcpdump printer and a wireshark dissector which are being reviewed. We would like to request a DLT_VSOCK/LINKTYPE_VSOCK identifier to finish the tcpdump and wireshark patches.

Thanks,

Gerard